Heart Shaped Quilting Block
With Valentine's Day just around the corner heart shaped quilting blocks are a must.
Whether you are making a wall hanging, a table runner, wall art, or a fabric card, this heart shaped quilt block will be just the ticket!
This project is perfect for scraps; let me show you how to make one finished block that measures 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches square. You will have to determine how many you will need for the project you will be making.
Items that you will need (for one block):
one 6 1/2" x 3 1/2" red printed fabric
two 3 1/2" squares of coordinating red fabric ( I used two different prints)
two 3 1/2" squares of the light or white printed background fabric
four 2" squares of light in color or white printed background fabric
1) Lightly mark a diagonal line on the wrong side of the two 3-1/2" background fabric squares and the four 2" background fabric squares as shown. (being mindful of a directional prints)
2) Take the 6 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangle of red printed fabric and place one of the 3 1/2" squares of light or white fabric on the rectangle as shown, right sides together. Sew directly on the marked diagonal line.
3) Trim fabric 1/4" from the sewn diagonal line as shown. Press seam toward the darker fabric.
4) Take the other 3 1/2" square of light or white fabric and place on the other side of the same block you are sewing. Sew directly on the diagonal line again.
5) Trim fabric 1/4" from the sewn diagonal line as shown. Press seam toward the darker fabric again. Open and press. ( I like to use a little spray starch at this point.)
6) Take one of the 2" squares of light or white fabric and place on top of one of the smaller 3 1/2" squares of red printed coordinating fabric as shown with right sides together. Sew directly on the diagonal line marked on the 2" background fabric square. Trim and press open with seam toward the darker fabric.
8) Take the other 2" square of light or white fabric and place on top of the other side of this same block. Sew on the diagonal line marked on the 2" background fabric square. Trim fabric 1/4", Press Open. Repeat the same steps with the other block.
10) Piece together the two blocks you just created. Press the seam allowance to either side.
11) Piece together all the blocks you created to complete the Heart Block.
I trimmed it to a "Square" that measured 6" x 6"
then to boarder it...
cut a 1 1/2" strip of "border" fabric, sew it around and trim to a nice 6 1/2" block.
Happy Valentine's Day...