if you need something larger you can easily widen the waist... I will indicate where here in the instructions.
Finished skirt will measure about 11-15 inches long... but you may easily lengthen or shorten skirt to desired length.
1. You will need:
- about 1 yard of fabric (skirt)
- 5 inches x 40-45 inches (waistband)
- elastic 3/4 to 1 inch wide elastic
3. fold it in half again and Press
4. Mark you fabric
4 inches from folded corner for the waist ( if you need a larger waist measure down to 5 or 6 inches)
16-18 inches from folded corner for the length of skirt. ( if you need it longer or shorter this is where you adjust it to your desired length.)
5. Unfold and you will have a full Circle skirt
6. Next take your waist band it will need to measure 4 inches wide by about 30 inches long. To find this measurement, measure around your inner circle of the skirt and add about 2 inches to allow for a hem on both sides. You can see in the following guide:
7. Fold the waist band in half after you have hemmed the sides, and press.
8. Placing raw edge to top of inner circle, PIN and SEW a 1/2 in seam you will want to butt up the hemmed edges- right next to each other.
LAST: Measure around your child's waist , cut your elastic to size of waist, Feed through your elastic and sew edges together overlapping 1 inch.
Hem your skirt or if you chose you may want to use a felt fabric and use pinking shears to "pink" the edges, serge the edge, or use a traditional hem.
If you use a traditional hem and a cotton or cotton blend fabric; zigzag your raw edge, then stitch with a straight stitch 1 inch from the bottom, press your hem up following the 1 inch stitching mark, use a decorative stitch to stitch the hem into place, and embellish with rickrack, sequins, or hand stitch flowers. you may also want to make a add on ruffle... be creative!
you may even want to use this for a dance costume or a Halloween costume by adding on a Poodle for a great 50's skirt.
Applique on Poodle (for Free Pattern Click Here)