Friday, November 12, 2010

Quilt for My Sweet Aunt!


This quilt was pieced together by
 Nancy Arehart (my sweet aunt).  

She makes a lot of great things that I have the pleasure of quilting for her.  Some of her "sewings" are cherished by sisters, nieces, great-nieces, and children- just to name a few (not to mention even a Tractor quilt for her dear husband. 
She has been busy sewing her little fingers to the bone! Just one of her latest projects has been quilts for her grandchildren and putting them away untill they get married.

What a wonderful IDEA!- I know they will cherish this forever.

 Check this out quilters!!  A new technique sure to take the "rag quilts" to a whole new level!!

This is just the beginning!


Notice the fun "bubbles" that she appliquéd on- it was a Long Arm machine Appliqué technique,
also know as rag appliqué!.
For a rag edge look simply iron on with a light weight appliqué interfacing,


BUT WAIT...
DO NOT USE YOUR DOMESTIC SEWING MACHINE TO APPLIQUÉ IT ON,

 instead place it on to the Long Arm Machine and let the "long arm-er" stitch over the top- not necessarily sewing the edges down-  then, with each washing the fabric will fray and fluff-
and create a rag-look to the appliquéd pieces.
You may want to clip the raw edge to further the ragged look.



 Thank you for sharing this fun new idea!


Check out her other great projects on Nancy Arehart's  Etsy shop!

It's "Sew" fun to follow our friends and see what they are up to next!

  
Thank you for letting me be a part of this fun project!

1 comment:

  1. I love this quilt! I cherish all of my quilts that my loved ones have made me...

    ReplyDelete